Saturday, November 22, 2008

How did I miss this?

Leonard Cohen.

Do you ever "discover" a musician or group or song only to find out that the WHOLE world knows about it but you. Do you wonder how in the hell they slipped past you all of those years? Does this happen to anyone else? It has happened to me quite a few times.

Fleetwood Mac, for one. My BFF Elizabeth was playing them years ago in the car on the way to some gayish/ravey/dancey club in Jackson, Ms when I was like, "who the hell is this?" I now have most of their albums on vinyl.

Dirty Mind, by Prince. This one was introduced to me on a "mix CD" from another BFF, Kirschun. I know Prince. I almost dressed as Prince for Halloween a couple of years ago. I can act out the abuse scenes from Purple Rain. How did I miss this rockin' song?

Okay, back to Leonard Cohen. I never knew who he was. I never even realized that one guy sang all of these way cool songs. I've heard many of his songs in movies and loved them all. Now, I finally put it all together and realize that this old guy rocks my world. Great lyrics, greats songs, great voice.

I'm sure there will be more discoveries down the road, but until then, I'm going to enjoy this little golden nugget.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Man Leonard is the coolest. I bought that documentary (and album) both the minute it dropped. http://www.leonardcohenimyourman.com/ yes everyone has covered Cohen from Nick Cave to Concrete Blonde. He really is a living legend. Not many of those around. Hell your boy Rufus and his sister Martha both do songs on the album.

Anyway better late to the party than never. Great lyricist.

Unknown said...

Oh in regards to Prince... go look up "For You" sometime. That was "I'm fairly sure" his very first release... before Dirty Mind. Good stuff. I used to have everything he ever released and even all of his proteges albums as well. From The Time to Vanity 6 to Mazaratti and Apallonia 6. Went through an intense Prince phase... still dig him sans religious nuttiness.

Archer said...

Me likey! I will investigate more.

Roger Howell said...

This guy reminds me of Tom Waits. My favorite Waits song is "The Nickle"
The Nickle is a bar where all the old lost souls gather.

Chris said...

roger, i listened to it. pretty good!
kny, a prince fan? is that why you always wear that hat with lace covering your eye?
erin, look him up. he's good.

meowblack said...

I just love him. He is on the jukebox at Chart Bar...